Part Four: Summer

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.  The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of tie.  On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops.  Under the rocks re the words, and some of the words are theirs.  I am haunted by waters." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It




We started off the first Salmon run with a little adult getaway.  Well, more of a bomb down trip.  We left one evening and came back the next.  Fishing through the night and into the day to catch our limit.  It was fun.  My husband is a brute, a lover of fishing, an extraordinary drive to catch his limit.  He's always been a fisherman, he's always loved the sport, the serenity, the peace of fishing but I dare say he has turned a little more Alaskan.  Now this kind of fishing is not what he (or I) am used to.

Throughout our marriage we have traveled to rivers in Utah and Idaho where the rivers are peaceful, where there is no one in sight.  Where the quiet stillness of the wind blows across our face, and the whip of the line is the only thing we hear.  It is quite a lovely experience, and while I'm not the best fisherman or really know what I'm even doing, I do enjoy going with Ernie and being outside with him.

We had so much fun fishing and it was so intense and comical.  I fell a couple of times and got water all up in my waders.  Reeling in those fish was a good battle.  We had one fishing hole that we were at and between four of us, we had to be in the water at ALL times otherwise someone would literally steal our spot.  It was insane! Combat fishing at it's finest.  Ernie caught his limit for both days.  I caught two (I think two)...we'll say two....hee hee hee.  Anyway, it was such a fun trip.

Comments